What is Medicare Plan F
If you are ready to enroll in a Medicare supplement, you might ask; what is Medicare Plan F? Medicare supplement/Medigap Plan F is the most comprehensive Medicare supplement you can buy. Plan F covers both Medicare deductibles and copays as well as coinsurance. That means you will have no out-of-pocket expenses.
What is Medicare Plan F:
Plan F has been the top selling Medicare supplement plan for quite some time. More than half of all Supplement/Medigap policies in effect are Plan F.
Medicare Supplement/Medigap plans, pay the amount left on your medical bill after Medicare pays. This will cover your deductibles, copays, and coinsurance. These plans do not replace either Medicare Part A or Part B. You must enroll in both Part A and Part B to be eligible to enroll in any Medicare supplement Plan. Once you add a Plan F to your Part A & B coverage you will have complete Medical coverage. That translates to zero out-of-pocket medical expenses.
Benefits of a Medicare Supplement Plan F:
- Plan F covers your Part A hospital deductible as well as your Part B outpatient deductible.
- Medigap plan F covers the 20% of medical expenses that Medicare Part B does not pay.
- This plan also covers Part B excess charges. This means you will not have to pay the standard 15% excess charge that doctors who accept Medicare are allowed to charge for Part B services.
- You do not need a referral to use Medicare Supplement plans. You can use any doctor who participates with Medicare. This gives you a wide variety of health care providers to choose from.
- Your coverage can never be canceled because of medical issues; these plans are guaranteed to renew as long as you make your payments.
- All Medicare supplement Plan F coverage is exactly the same. It does not matter which carrier you choose to purchase it from. The only thing that differs by carrier is the price of the plan.
What is Medicare Plan F: Benefits; what does the plan cover/not cover:
All Supplement/Medigap plans cover medications that you receive while you are in a hospital or clinic. Although, Supplement/Medigap plans DO NOT COVER prescription drugs. You need to enroll in Part D in order to receive prescription coverage.
Supplement plans DO cover chiropractic services that Medicare approves, such as adjustments. Medicare does not cover x-rays done in conjunction with a chiropractor.
Supplement/Medigap plans don’t cover dental, hearing or vision exams or services. If you need coverage for any of these services, you must purchase a stand alone plan.
How much does a Plan F cost:
The costs for Medicare Plan F depends on a few different factors. The first thing that determines the cost of your Plan F is the carrier you choose to use. Other things that decide the cost include the area you live in(this had the greatest effect on the cost), your gender, and whether or not you use tobacco. Some carriers charge a higher price for a male as opposed to a female of the same age. Certain carriers offer a household discount when both spouses use the same company for their coverage. If you would like a quote for plan in your area, please contact us either by phone at (203)796-5403 or email at [email protected]
Is the Plan F being discontinued:
The answer to that is yes. In the year 2020, plan F no longer be available to new enrollees. If you are already enrolled in the plan, you will be able to stay in it. In 2020, new Medicare beneficiaries will no longer be able to have Medicare supplements cover their Part B deductible.