Aetna fitness reimbursement
Aetna has expanded their commitment to wellness by adding the Aetna fitness reimbursement benefit to some of their MAPD plans. This benefit provides members of participating plans an allowance for activities or equipment for things such as; golf, pickleball, swimming, running, or even entrance fees for state and national parks. Members can also use the benefit for fitness equipment such as athletic shoes, exercise mats, weights, wearable fitness trackers or any other equipment that helps them stay healthy.
Please note; this benefit does not cover expenses for fitness attire other than shoes.
More about this benefit
Once the calendar year ends, you cannot roll over any portion of this benefit allowance. This is a (DMR) direct member reimbursement, this means the member pays for the qualified item or activity up front and then submits the paid receipt to Aetna for reimbursement. Please make sure all fields are completed and receipts included before you send in the request to avoid delays in payment receipt.
If you are unsure if your plan offers this benefit, either check the Evidence of Coverage for your specific plan or contact your broker to confirm this benefit as well as any other plan questions you have.
Please note: Members do not use the Fitness Reimbursement Form for reimbursement of benefits other than; fitness activity fees, or fitness supplies or wearable items. Reimbursements of any other expenses require a specific form for that purpose.
To determine if you should send in an item for reimbursement, make sure you can answer yes to the following 3 questions:
- Did you purchase this item or service this year to use this year?
- Is the item or service for your benefit/use only?
- Do you have an itemized receipt for the items or services you are requesting the reimbursement for. Please make sure the receipt includes the date of purchase, name of retailer, location of retailer and a description of the item as well as the amount paid.
How this benefit works
- The member pays up front for the qualified fitness-related services, activity fees or supplies from licensed provider or retail store. They collect a detailed receipt that contains costs, date of purchase and payment method.
- Plan member makes the request for reimbursement. This can be done online at AetnaMedicare.com/Reimburse, once you are on the site, just follow the prompts and fill out the required form and upload a copy of your paid receipt. If you do not want to fill it out online, you can either print out a copy from the website or request a form from the member services number on the back of your plan ID card. Please see below for more ways to submit your reimbursement.
- Wait for your reimbursement to arrive. Aetna will send members a check to reimburse them for qualified purchases. Please allow up to 45 days to receive your payment. Aetna must receive both the form and receipt within 365 days of the original purchase. Allowance amounts do not roll over to the next calendar quarter or plan year.
How to request the reimbursement
- Members can go to AetnaMedicare.com/Reimburse or scan the QR code in this flyer.
- You can either complete the form online or download, print and complete the reimbursement form and mail it to the claims address found on the back of your member ID card. If you are requesting the reimbursement by mail, you should make a copy of your original documents; Aetna will not return them to you.
Please note: any item you purchase from private, non-retail seller will not be accepted for reimbursement. Plan members should always check their EOC for a full description of plan benefits, exclusions and limitations.