Obama Care in Connecticut
The purpose of this post is to provide an understanding of Obama Care in Connecticut to help consumers make a better decision when they decide to enroll or not. Our office is registered to advise the general population on which plan may be best for them and to process an enrollment in person or over the phone. Please review the list of bullet points below and call or email if you have any questions.
- Obama Care is run by Access Health in CT. Prospective members sign up for the plan through the Access Health website. Once you register, you can complete and submit an application. Access Health then sends the insurance company that you chose during your application process the information is then sent to the insurance company that was chosen during the application process. This will then prompt them to send out a monthly bill as well as ID cards.
- Subsidies are available to those within the income guidelines. They are automatically applied to the premium and the bill received in the mail will be reduced by the amount of monthly subsidy being received. Subsidy levels depend on the total annual income of the family and the number of family members. They do NOT look at prior year income but look at current years income. A person applying in 2014 is going to be provided or not provided a subsidy based on their 2014 income not prior years income.
Subsidies levels are as follows:
- Single person under $45,960 adjusted gross is eligible for a subsidy. A family of 4 under $94,200 is eligible for a subsidy. For an example of the amount of subsidy provided we can use a 61 year old male. At $47,00 annual income he is not eligible for subsidy and would pay $691 a month for a silver plan. At $32,000 of income that same person would only pay $150.09 a month for the same silver plan. A family of 4 making $96,000 a year would pay $1217.22 a month for a silver plan while a family of 4 making 52,000 a year would pay $217.00 a month for the same plan.
- Subsidies are only available by applying through Access Health
- Current companies offering plans are Anthem BCBS, Connecticare and Healthy Partners. United and Harvard Pilgrim will also be available in 2015
- Anyone can enroll in Obama Care but only those under the income level will get a subsidy
The company sends a paper bill every month.
- The doctor networks are smaller than the normal networks. We have found that the companies Obama networks have about 70% of the doctors that are in the companies normal networks.
- For those under the income guidelines, this is the lowest cost insurance they will be able to buy on an individual basis by a substantial amount.
- The benefits of the Obama Care plans are more comprehensive than the comparable plans out on the open market
- Obama Care will base your income on the total family income, even if the whole family does not enroll in the plan.
You can either call or email us with any questions or help enrolling. We do not charge a fee for help with enrollments. The insurance companies pay us directly. The rates are the same with or without our assistance enrolling. Office number is 203-796-5403 or email Edward@croweandassociates.com