Medicare Agent Sales Guide
The Medicare agent sales guide will cover all aspects of Medicare sales from start to finish. The guide is useful for all agents but will help new agents who are just starting out tremendously. Each topic has links to more specific information on that specific subject. We will continue to add links and additional information over time.
Determine types of plans you will sell
- Medicare Advantage (MAPD), Medicare Supplement, Part D Rx plans (PDP)
- It is best to offer all three plan types but MAPD and Part D Rx plans require annual certifications. Some carriers also require the AHIP certification
- Medicare supplements do not require annual certifications.
- Some agents do sell Medicare supplements only as a result but they do lose out on some sales because they do not offer MAPD or PDP plans
- If you are going to sell all three plan types but want to avoid taking AHIP, you can contract with United Healthcare. They do not require AHIP. The result is you can take one annual certification and have access to all three plan types. UHC Medicare Supplements, UHC PDP and UHC MAPD plans CLICK FOR AHIP INFO 2018
- UHC needs to be competitive in your state for this strategy to work
What companies should you go with and contracting
- We can help you determine the best and most competitive plans in your area.
- The best companies will vary by state. Certain states may lean more toward Medicare supplements instead of MAPD or vice versa.
- We contract agents with multiple companies using one contracting packet. Fill out the contract, check off the carriers you want and send it back to our office via fax 203-567-6235 or email to email@example.com. CLICK THIS LINK FOR CROWE AND ASSOCIATES CONTRACTING 2019
- Agents can easily add companies to their book at any time by contacting us and requesting them.
Do you have an Agency or want to start an agency?
- Contracting for agencies works differently than contracting for individual agents. Agency or GA level contracts are available. These contracts pay compensation above the CMS allowed street compensation for an individual agent. The additional commission is called an “override”. This can be paid directly to the agency while the agent receives his street compensation pay directly. Some agencies may have all the compensation pay to the agency.
- The various carriers have requirements in order to have GA level contracts. We work with agency owners to make them aware of the requirements and then come up with a plan to meet them in order to put the GA contracts in place.
More information about contracting
- All contracts with Crowe and Associates will be full compensation contracts. We never reduce commissions on any MAPD, Medicare Supplement or PDP plan.
- Agents receive commission pay directly from the insurance company. CLICK TO SEE 2018 MAPD AND PDP COMMISSIONS
- If you work with a current up-line/agency/FMO/NMO you may need a release to move to another up-line. A release is a signed form on the current up-line’s letter head. It states that an agent or agency is able to leave and move to another up-line. If the current up-line will not provide a release, most carriers require agents to wait 6 months before they can move a contract.
- A number of carriers require agents to carry E and O insurance. We offer agency E and O insurance at a rate of $300 a year. CLICK TO LEARN ABOUT OUR E AND O INSURANCE
- AML training (you only need this if you want to sell life based products). Agents do not need this for either health or Medicare products. You can access AML training for free through LIMRA.
- As pointed out earlier, MAPD and PDP plans require annual certifications to be completed for each company you plan to sell
- Once your contracting is completed, be on the lookout for an email from each carrier that gives you access to the annual certification
- Please note: If you sell a product prior to finishing your annual certification the carrier will never pay comp on that case
- If you did not receive your certification link or are having trouble accessing your certifications, you can call Pinnacle Financial at 1-800-772-6881 Jessica Krupnick at ext 7726 can assist with getting your links out or accessing the modules
- You can access most company certs online through the pinnacle website at http://pfsinsurance.com/certifications/ (The site is password protected but our agents will receive a username and password when they contract)
Compliance with Marketing rules
- The annual certifications and/or AHIP will provide a great deal of information on being compliant. We can help brokers develop a compliance specific to them.
- Once agents complete certifications, they can order supplies for each carrier through Pinnacle: either Email Amy Cohen at firstname.lastname@example.org or call her on extension 7730 to put in an order.
- Supplies consist of enrollment kits, drug formularies, flyers and other promotional materials. Most provider directories are not available online in a PDF, website, mobile app or company enrollment system.
- The Pinnacle quote engine is available as a mobile application or web based and provides access to all enrollment materials, Rx search and Doc find. The Pinnacle quote engine will quote and compare all lines of business including MAPD, Part D, Medicare supplement, Hospital indemnity plans, Dental, Vision, LTC, Annuity, Final Expense and Term and UL life carriers. This is available to Crowe and Associates agents at no cost. Agents can access the site at www.pfsinsurance.com (this requires a Username and password)
Next Steps to start selling
- Once you complete your certifications and order your supplies; call us at 203-796-5403 to arrange for any training you might need. We can provide training either in person, via webinars or on the phone. We can also help develop a specific marketing plan for each agent
- Topics can include
- Utilizing our 50% medicare lead reimbursement program
- Cross selling and adding additional carriers
- Examples of cross selling and using door opener products
- Training on the online quote engine
- Medicare sales strategy and product training
- Review of successful marketing strategies used by both other agents as well as agencies