2022 Medicare Enrollment Dates
There are multiple 2022 Medicare Enrollment Dates agents need to be famiar with. This will review the main elections periods and some of the lesser known special election periods. Agents need to be familiar with all of them to have the most flexibility with enrollments for 2022. The Medicare AEP has ended (October 15th to Decebember 7th) so we will be focusing on the Medicare OEP and other special election periods.
2022 Medicare Enrollment Dates: Medicare Open Enrollment Period 2022
The Medicare OEP runs from January 1st to March 31st every year in all states. During the Medicare OEP there are a limited number of changes that can be made. OEP changes always are effective for the first of the following month. If someone applies for a change in January it will be effective for February 1. An application in February will kick in March one and a March applicaiton will start April 1. What type of changes can be made during the OEP?
- Change from a Medicare Advantage plan to another Medicare Advantage plan: Anyone in an MA or MAPD may change to a different MA or MAPD one time during the Medicar OEP.
- Medicare Advantage back to Original Medicare: Anyone enrolled in a Medicare Advantage plan (MA or MAPD) may change back to original Medicare and add a Medicare supplement and stand alone PDP if they choose. The easiest way to initiat this change is throught the part D drug plan. The Part D application will automatically terminate the existing Medicare Advantage plan. (Check the SEP or OEP box on the paper or electronic application) The Medicare beneficiary will automatically have Original Medicare as a result. This allows them to apply for a Medicare Supplement plan if they choose to.
- Note: Using the OEP will not create a GI for the Medicare supplement plan. In states that will allow medical underwriting outside of GI (All of them except NY, CT, ME and MA) the applicant may not be accepted if they have health conditions.
- The following changes are not eligible during the OEP:
- Switching from one PDP to another PDP
- Changing from Original Medicare to a Medicare Advantage plan or adding a PDP if you did not have one previously
2022 Medicare Enrollment Dates: Special Election Periods for disasters and 5 stars
There are a number of special election periods available: For the remainder of December, 2021 the FEMA disaster SEP is available in a number of states to make a Jan 1 change. Learn more about the FEMA disaster election. CLICK FOR FEMA DISASTER
The 5 Star plan special election for MA, MAPD and PDP is available as of December 8th, 2021. 5 Star plan special elections
OEP for those new to Medicare
There is also an OEP for those that are new to Medicare and enroll in a Medicare Advantage plan: 2 scenarios
Scenario 1: Someone turns 65 and enrolls in a Medicare Advantage plan the firs of the month they turn 65. The MA OEP is available to them the first of the month they are entitled to both A and B and runs through the last day of the third month of entitlement to A and B
Scenario 2: Someone turns 65 but is working so they delay enrollment in Medicare Part B. They decide to enroll in Part B. Their ICEP is 3 months before the part B start date. Their MA OEP begins the first month they are enrolled in B and continues through the last day of the 3rd month.
2022 Medicare Enrollment Dates: Other special elections
There are various other special elections such as elections for loss of Medicaid or drug help, moving to a new area, losing group or emplyer coverage and many others.
Free Medicare Lead Program and Online Enrollment
Crowe and Associates offers a number of programs and benefits to independent agents: