Medicare Educational Event Rules
Medicare educational event rules are fairly straight forward. There has not been many modifications of them from 2020 to 2021 which makes things a bit easier. We will go over the basics below and point out the key things you need to be aware of when hosting one.
What type of even are you hosting?
The first thing to figure out is the type of event you will be running. Educational events are intended to inform people about Medicare and Medicare programs. This can include Medicare Advantage, Medicare supplement and Part D plans. It cannot be plan specific or intended to steer or sell someone something. If you are going to be presenting any company specific plan information, you are holding a marketing event and not an educational event.
Medicare Educational event rules: advertising
You are allowed to advertise educational events through most of the usual methods such as flyers, newspapers, radio, email and direct mail. When marketing them it needs to say meetings will be for “educational” purposes. In addition, you also need to have the following disclaimer: “For accommodations of persons with special needs at meetings call <insert phone and TTY number>.”
Do I need to register/report my event?
The short answer is “yes”. Not all carriers require educational event registration but many of the do. As a result, it would be wise to register them either through your FMO or directly with the carrier.
Rules while running the event
You can do the following:
- Hand out educational material on Medicare programs such as MA, MAPD, PDP and other programs
- Give away promotional items – They may included names, logo’s and phone numbers
- Provide meals, light snacks and refreshments
- Use business reply cards (BRC’s)
- Give out business card, contact info and collect Scope of appointment forms
- Schedule marketing appointments immediately after the meeting
You cannot do the following:
- Require anyone to sign on or provide contact information
- Hand out or take applications or other plan specific information- (This is a marketing event)
- Give away cash prizes
- Provide or take enrollment forms
- Discuss carrier specific information
- Give an educational presentation in a one on one setting or at a residence