CT insurance license
This post will give you the steps to get your CT insurance license, so you will be able to sell insurance in Connecticut. This can be a great career opportunity for those people who are willing to put in the work and enjoy helping others.
1. Complete a Pre-licensing Course for CT insurance license.
In order to sell insurance in Connecticut, you must complete an approved pre-licensing course and then pass the CT licensing exam. We recommend using Kaplan for this course go to Kaplan’s web page click here.
There are a few different ways you can choose to take the course. They offer traditional classroom study as well as online and basic print study using text books mixed with on line tools.
In order to complete the pre-licensing course, you must pass the certification exam. The Certification Exam is not monitored. Once you pass the exam with a grade of 70% or higher,you receive a certificate of completion. Your pre-licensing certificate is valid for one year from the date of completion. You need to take and pass your CT state exam within this time.
Connecticut requires you to bring your Certificate to your licensing exam.
2. Make a reservation and pass the CT insurance license exam.
You can make a reservation to take your exam with Prometric. You can do this either on line by phone, fax or mail. Pay the Exam fees with a Master Card, Visa, money order, company check, or cashier’s check. Please note: Personal checks are not accepted.
- Online: click here for Prometric site
- Phone: (800) 341-3257
- Fax: If you choose to register either by fax or mail , there is a two step process.
- By Mail: submit the registration form along with payment to: Prometric, Attn: Ct Insurance Exam Registration, 7941 Corporate Drive, Nottingham, MD 21236.
- By Fax: (800) 347-9242
- Call (800) 341-3257 after the registration is processed to schedule your test.
Before your CT insurance license test you need to know what to Bring:
- Your pre-licensing Certificate of Completion
- Your current ID. The identification document must:
- 1. Be government-issued (e.g., driver’s license, state-issued or military id card)
- 2. Contain both a current photo and your signature
- 3. The name must match exactly with the name you use to register for the test
The day of the test:
Arrive for the test 30 minutes before the test start to have your identification verified and a photo taken.
Do not bring in any personal items such as; cell phones, watches, wallets or purses these items are not permitted.
The tests are all recorded on audio and video.
What to expect on the CT insurance license test:
- The tests questions are in a multiple choice answer format.
- Tests will have “experimental” questions mixed in with the scored questions. These questions are not marked and are not in your study materials, therefore they do not effect your final grade.
- You must receive a grade of at least 70% to pass the test.
- Once you have finished the test you will see your final grade on the screen and you will get a printed report of the score. The score report tells you whether you passed or failed, your percentage score, and percentage correct for each section of the exam.
- Prometric will notify the Department of Insurance of your test results within 2 business days.
- If you fail the test, you can reschedule and take the test again. There is no waiting period.
3. Apply for a state license
After passing the exam, apply for your license by completing an application at http://www.nipr.com. You can apply for both resident and non resident licenses. You must follow specific guidelines of each state you apply to as well as pay the licensing fee.